Fall Mushroom Picking!

I love fall – and I love the fall wild mushrooms – the problem is, there hasn’t been a lot of rain!  We went looking for lobster mushrooms, chanterelles and cauliflower fungus.

So into the forest we went…

IMG_3263

We found a lot of inedible varieties 

IMG_3264 IMG_3265

until, my grandson, the master mushroom sniffer, started to find the golden gems – Chanterelles!

IMG_3285 IMG_3295

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We took home enough to saute and have with steaks for dinner!

20151003_180028_resized

 

But we also found,

IMG_3297

IMG_3278 IMG_3287

A wood gnome?

IMG_3300

A wood spirit….

IMG_3282

a frog….

IMG_3271

and a fantastic campground – all the times we’ve been this way, we never stopped to check this out!

IMG_3310

IMG_3314 IMG_3301 IMG_3306 IMG_3307 IMG_3308

And we hiked and fully took in the beauty of the forest.  A worthy retreat from the hustle and bustle of the work week.

IMG_3267

A wonderful day – and we’ll be heading back when Spring camping season starts up again…

Share

About Helen Fern

I live in the upper Willamette Valley with my amazing husband and four very spoiled cats - three adopted feral cats and one shelter baby. We have lived here since the dawn of 1991 and love every inch of the region.
This entry was posted in Simple Pleasures and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Fall Mushroom Picking!

  1. Oooh, how cool that you know which mushrooms are safe to eat after you forage them! I’m so jealous – and happy you joined us at #FridayFrivolity this week!

  2. Jamie says:

    What a beautiful area! I wish our mountains would have a class on what mushrooms are safe. I’m always so worried about getting the wrong ones. :/ Thank you for sharing with us at the #HomeMattersParty

  3. jill i says:

    Hi Helen,
    You left a comment on my blog last fall and I’m not sure I responded! Looks like you’re actively blogging and getting noticed, that’s great! Some nice shots, too. I have never tried to harvest wild mushrooms even though I enjoy them. I remember when I was a kid there was a group from Portland area who harvested wild mushrooms, cooked them up for a dinner, and then I think four out of six died and the others had to have liver transplants? Anyway, I know some are easily recognizable and not confused with anything toxic, but still. Just too much on my plate. But just had some boletes with dinner and breakfast this morning that I bought at the farmers market yesterday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *